Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Comp Beard

At the beginning of the year, I decided to not shave my beard as I studied for my comprehensive exams ("comps" for short).  Sarah got a little curious after a few weeks and asked me when I was going to shave.  I told her that it was for good luck and that I would shave after my comps.

"When are your comps?" she asked.  
"The middle and end of March."
"Oh, Bryan, please don't."
"But babe, it's for good luck."
(Shaking of head and rolling of eyes.)

As the weeks passed, kissing became less frequent and I believe I was called a "walrus" on multiple occasions.  Eventually, I took my comprehensive exams and the time came to shave the beard, as promised.

Although Sarah was happy to see the beard go, there were those who were saddened by the loss.  For example, the sons of our bishop, who enjoyed pulling my beard at church.  One of them came up to me at church after I shaved and said, "Why did you shave your beard?  I liked it so much better."
  
 So, without further ado, I present the different stages of shaving my comp beard.
   
   
    
   
(I had multiple kids at church say to me, "You have a mustache.")
    
   
  
  
So much for the "walrus" - I hope my wife and my mother are happy.

1 comment: