Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Doctor Sarah's Trip to Utah

Sarah recently traveled to Utah to defend her dissertation ("Aqueous Henry's Law Constants, Infinite Dilution Activity Coefficients, and Water Solubility: Critically Evaluated Database, Experimental Analysis, and Prediction Methods").  Maybe now that I have all those words included in a post, my blog will show up on a Google search by some chemical engineering grad student trying to find research papers to help with insomnia.  For those of you who don't understand half those words, talk to Sarah and you will either understand what they mean or lose all desire to know their meaning.  This is the last known photograph of Sarah before she became a doctor (of philosophy).
 
There may have been other pictures taken of her after she arrived in Utah and before she defended, but none were taken with our camera, which I was afraid might return home with no new pictures on it.

So, when Sarah texted me on the Fourth of July to say that she and her parents were leaving Vegas (where she had been for a few days after defending) to go back up to Utah, I decided to respond with "I hope you're taking lots of pictures" as a friendly reminder.  Her reply didn't surprise me at all: "Not a single one yet!"  All that was missing was the smiley face to end the text.

Fortunately, with the reminder text (and phone call later that day) on her mind, Sarah remembered to take the camera with her when she and Gwen went to watch the fireworks with cousins at the country club.  Unfortunately (for those involved), the camera appears to have passed through many hands, and since all the pictures made it back to me, I thought I'd share them here.  (Disclaimer: Since I know my aunts may be some of the only people who frequent this blog outside of my parents, if any of you are concerned regarding the pictures I have put on the internet of your children, let me know and I'll take them off.)  With the disclaimer out of the way, let's check out how this new doctor likes to party it up on the Fourth of July:
   
  
  
  
  
 
 
After becoming a doctor, what's a girl to do?  Keep going to school, right?  (That's what a large majority of Sarah's trip turned into, as she was redoing the formatting until it was accepted by all the different secretaries at all the different levels - a process that took days.)  Besides school, Sarah spent time with family
  
  
 Unfortunately they weren't able to get Amy looking and Sarah's eyes open in the same picture.
(Lisa, Abby, Amy, Sarah, Bekah, Alysse, Jennie, Delcie for those wondering)

Sarah also hiked up to Timp Cave with Jennie, Delcie and her mom, where they were able to see Ranger Quinn for a little bit.
  
  
 
 She somehow escaped visiting my parents' house without getting a picture with them - here's to hoping my mom was able to get one, as the only pieces of evidence we have of Sarah visiting them are the stylish hairdo she got from Gwen, as well as the wooden chairs and video game on the screen in the background.
  
  
 (I don't think that popular Mormon hair-styling blog has to worry about any competition here.)

Overall, I think Sarah had a great trip.
(How could a trip not be great when you get to make your husband call you "doctor" once you get back?)

0 comments:

Post a Comment