Saturday, May 12, 2012

Flag Football, Season 2

For those of you who are new to the BS Report, I coached Sarah's flag football team last fall, where they made it to the semifinals of the lower division tournament.  Sarah tells me that their first season (before I was coaching them) they only won one game.  The funny thing is I'm not sure how much I actually do in coaching them.  I've gone from trying to design plays and draw them out on cards to just teaching them basic principles like how to block a defender.  (Kind of the reverse of how you think it would be taught, but I guess I assumed too much coming in as their coach.)  

I do have to admit that one of my proudest moments as their coach came during this season when the girls came up with a play by themselves and everyone blocked for Brenda as she ran all the way down the field for a touchdown.  I was so happy that they had taken something I had taught them and used it very well.  In fact, they used it a little too well because the touchdown was called back because one of our girls lowered her shoulder when blocking and knocked the opposing girl onto her back, which the refs thought was a little bit too much contact for flag football.

Another thing I'm really proud of as their coach is that they have improved each season I've coached them, both on an execution level as well as their performance relative to other teams.  This spring, they made it to the championship game in the lower division, only to come up short.  They gave it their all and despite their disappointment with the outcome, they were willing to let their coach take a picture for his blog.
 
Although they took second place in flag football, they might take first in human pyramids.

0 comments:

Post a Comment