Sunday, August 26, 2012

Home Improvements

On Tuesday, our new kitchen table and chairs arrived at our front door.  Sarah tried to get the box into the apartment, but unfortunately either the large shape of the box or the fact that it weight over 140 pounds precluded her from getting it inside.  (In case my dad is reading this and thinking Why didn't she use that new hand truck you just bought?, the answer is that she did try but some combination of the size and weight yielded her efforts fruitless.)  After texting back and forth, we concluded that Sarah would go outside and periodically check to make sure no one had stolen it until I got home.

Luckily for us, the thieves were also unable to move the box because of its size and weight, so it was waiting for me when I got home from school.  Then the building process began.  First we put the table together and then I started on the chairs.  The reviews online had complained about the difficulty of assembling the chairs, so I was expected vague instructions and hours of assembly.  As it turns out, it wasn't nearly as bad as I was anticipating and I think the whole process was done in an hour or so (it's kind of hard to keep track of time when you are doing manly things and you get really into it - ask Einstein, it's the whole theory of relativity thing).  

I think we were both pleased with the end result.  (I know that I definitely prefer eating at a table compared to eating on the floor or sitting on a folding chair and have my plate on my lap.  As for Sarah, I can't speak for her, but I think she enjoyed her two meals on the table.)
  
  
  
 
 Since the new table and chairs weren't enough, we decided to add more to our apartment.  The next day, we had our new stackable washer/dryer delivered.  (To be clear, it's not "new" - we bought it from an appliance repair shop that sells appliances they have fixed.)  I know what you're thinking, which is the exact same thing the lady at the appliance repair shop said when we talked to her: Why would you want a stackable washer/dryer when you have the space for a full-size?  The answer:  The space for the washer/dryer in our apartment only has a 220v outlet, and Sarah wasn't too keen on the idea of an extension cord running along the floor to the washer.  Plus, the cost of the washer/dryer was about the same as renting one for a year, and we can keep it longer than that, or sell it on Craig's list and more than break even.

So, without further ado, here are a few pictures of our washer/dryer:
  
 
 This last picture is to give you an idea as to where the washer/dryer is in our apartment - next to the shower in the other bathroom.  (It is on the other side of the wall with the clock, wedding picture, and mirror on it in the last picture of our new table.)

The final home improvement to our apartment this week was curtains in the bedrooms.  (We've ordered curtains for the main room - they just haven't gotten here yet.)  I'm not sure how exciting this is, but it was a home improvement nonetheless and hopefully I was able to hang both of them level enough.
 
 
I finally got the set of blinds for our main room in the mail the next week, so I got those put up as well.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment