Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Best Friend

Despite the fact that it was raining during our last night in Budapest, Sarah and I decided that we wanted to go check out theVárosliget (City Park) and the Vajdahunyad Castle that's inside of it.  As we got off the metro in the rain, we're were the only ones around in the park.  (This could have been due to the fact that it was dark, or that it was raining or both.)

We walked over to the castle, where there was tour bus full of people in front of the castle.  Apparently it was full of fair-weather tourists as only three or four of them got out to look at the castle, and it was pretty soon thereafter that they were on the bus again and it took off.

All lit up at night, the castle looked amazing.  As we walked around the inside of the castle, Sarah said to me, "I'm so glad that I can be here with you, that I can have you as my travel buddy, and I'm even more glad I'm here with my best friend."

Best friend?!?  That's something that's reserved for the guy you watch sports with, who you can talk to about anything, or who you can sit with in silence for however long, yet still feel totally comfortable.  The one with whom you can count on each other for anything, no matter what.

Those thoughts zoomed through my mind as soon as she said that, then more thoughts followed: Wait a minute!  Isn't your wife supposed to be your best friend?  Don't all those old married people always say how lucky they are to be married to their best friend?  Of course, Sarah is my best friend.  She has to be.  How could she not be?  But if that's the case, then why when I think 'best friend,' do guys always come to mind first and not my wife?  Maybe there are different categories of best friends, like Best Guy Friend, Best Roommate Friend, Best Friend Named (_______), Best Wife Friend, etc.  That must be it.  Sarah is most definitely my Best Wife Friend.  Maybe it's just because I've known 'the guys' longer and that's why they come to mind first.  Whereas my first date with Sarah was in March.  There we go.  Got it.  Give it some time, and she'll not only be my Best Wife Friend, but my Best Friend.

We spent some time together there at the castle, talking in the rain, and then headed back to our hotel.  A day and a half later, while we were on the plane coming home, and after I had come to the conclusion that the reason she wasn't the first person to come to mind was because I hadn't known her as long, I decided to bring it up again.  I think my response at the castle had been something like "Yeah, it is really neat that we can be here together.  I'm glad that I can be here with you too."  Our conversation on the plane went something like this:

"Sarah, remember when we were at the castle in Városliget and you said that I'm your best friend.  Am I really the first person you think of when you think 'best friend'?"

"Yes." 

"Really?  You're not just saying that because we're married and we're supposed to be best friends?"

"Really.  Why?  Do you not think of me as your best friend?"  Oh, crap.  Uhh....umm....

"Uh, well...you mean you don't think of like Brenda or Becca first and then think of me?"

"No.  Do you think of Andrew or Bean before me?"  Are you some sort of mind reader?  I thought only moms could do that.

"Maybe." Smile. "Maybe it's because I've just known them longer and I never really thought about you in that way - being my best friend."  Oh, great.  Now I'm going to hurt her feelings.  Great way to end the honeymoon, Bryan.

"Well, I really feel like you are my best friend.  I can talk to you about anything, and I trust you, no matter what."

"I can talk to you about anything and I trust you too."  Wait a minute.  Someone you can talk to about anything.  Check.  Someone you can sit in silence with, yet feel totally comfortable.  Check.  The one with whom you can count on each other for anything no matter what.  Check.  I guess the sports thing is the only thing missing.

There you have it.  Sarah may not be the first person I think of when I think "best friend," but I think "wife" more than encompasses "best friend" in my mind.

0 comments:

Post a Comment