Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Roman Ruins


Our first day in Hungary, we drove past some Roman ruins with Feri and his family on our way to Szentendre, Visegrád, and Esztergom.  Sarah asked what those ruins were and I casually mentioned that they were Roman ruins (like who hasn't seen Roman ruins before).  She drew my attention to the fact that these ruins were thousands of years old, and I thought to myself'Everything is old in Europe.  That's why people come here - to look at all the old stuff.'  Then it hit me, 'I guess we could go there too.'

So, we decided that our last morning in Budapest we would go to the Roman ruins in the northern part of the city.  Despite the fact that it was raining, we got on the tram and then transferred to the light rail and got off at the nearest stop.  We then walked in the rain for a while until we got to the entrance of the park full of ruins.

The only problem was the gate was locked.  so, we rang the bell.  Problem number two came up - nobody answered when we rang.  We then decided that the person either (1) was deaf, because we rang the bell a lot, or (2) decided not to go to work because who wants to go see Roman ruins in the rain?  Oh, wait, my wife and I do.  Thanks a lot.

So, we did the best that we could with what we were given and took pictures from outside the gate looking in.  Take that, Romans.

Roman ruins
(Creative description, I know.)

More Roman ruins
(I guess I could try to be creative and guess that this is an aqueduct, but everyone knows that's not true.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment